Few days back, i sent an email to a person that i wasn’t supposed to, and since then i have been thinking that email service should have this feature when someone send an email and later they realized that it was to a wrong person then he/she gets a chance to delete the email from the sender end. My idea was like as follows… Read the rest of this entry »
We have this common restaurant called “Italy” where we all friends sit to give “adda” in every evening. I really miss this adda after going to Dhaka. Anyways, there is a little boy named “Shakil” who comes every evening in the restaurant. He is the restaurant owner’s son and certainly he is not doing any job there. I guess he just comes here to spend his spear time as his school is off now for Ramadan month. Yesterday, i just wanted to do something, I really like this kid, he looks cute :). All other days, he was staying away from me because every time I see him, I ask him to spell something – I know he doesn’t like it!
Yesterday evening, when I saw him, first thing came in my mind was “Shakil, spell thirteen!” and then he would be like – ok, im coming in 5 mins. I was waiting and waiting. After 10 mins, I realized he already left the restaurant. And then after an hour he thought I left, so he came back! But his bad luck I was still there! I became desperate to make sure that I wasn’t a scary person for him. So first I assured him that “don’t worry, if you can’t spell I will help you! ” – He felt a released when I said that :) I asked him to bring a notebook and a pen! He went to his dad and his dad was so happy that his son was gonna reinvent the rocket! Anyways… Read the rest of this entry »
Posted September 29, 2008on:
I was waiting to study on these applications architecture for a long time. Just couldn’t manage time, this time after coming here in my hometown Sylhet I got a good amount of time and didn’t waste this time to study on Google architecture, Youtube architecture, Flickr architecture and finally twitter architecture. I just had this curiosity to know how these apps actually maintain the high scalability. No doubt that Google is the king of scalability. They got all pure engineers from around the world and I guess this is the only company in IT sector who implemented university studies directly in real life.
So what lessons I have learned?
- Simplicity allows you to re-architect more quickly so you can respond to problems. It’s true that nobody really knows what simplicity is, but if you aren’t afraid to make a change then that’s a good sign simplicity is happening.
- A team is always a powerhouse of a company. Only a talent team can find a better ways of scalability. After all a team is the main recourse of a company.
- Make your application easily partitionable from the start. Then you always have a way to scale your system.
- Most performance comes not from the language, but from application design.
- Turn your website into an open service by creating an API. Twitter’s API is a huge reason for their success. It allows user’s to create an ever expanding and ecosystem around Twitter that is difficult to compete with.
- Move your all popular content to CDN (content delivery network). You are just giving the responsibility to trusted people to do your job. Certainly it reduces the load to the main server. Creating own network would be time consuming and costly.
- If you have a long tail product caching won’t always be your performance savior.
- Know what’s essential to your service and prioritize your resources and efforts around those priorities.
- I have noticed applications that use too much cache, they prefer PHP scripting language! (I.e. Facebook, Flickr).
- Caching and RAM are answers to everything. All applications give priority on these…
- If we optimize then we should optimize a large thing as small things makes the system evil
- If you fails on your system then get advice from the community. There are better expert in the community than your company nerds.
- Hide update using AJAX
- Build self-managing system that work without having to take the system down
Have a big passion about movie. Especially on making a movie and as a result I have written a movie script! I believe one day it will become a movie through my hand. But I know I have to study on it a lot, for now, all I know how to work on web applications. So, came up with this movie making idea like 2 months ago. I called my friend jewel to get his opinions on it and gladly he liked it! But still we brainstormed on other ideas too, we included 15 university students to give their opinions, had some different ideas but finally we chose the very first one! Me and my friend jewel didn’t look back once we decided to develop this facebook application. So what is this application is all about?
Once you added the application, you become a director of a movie where you can hire your friends to play the key role of your movie. So direct your dream movie on ‘Fallywood’ by casting your friends to play key roles. Or be the next Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie by being casted in movies directed by your friends! You never know you or your movie might just be the next HIT at the Box Office!
Here are some general roles ….
- You have a total of $100,000 to make your movie.
- To cast an actor in your movie costs $1000. An actor’s value increases by 20% every time he/she is hired in a movie.
- You can become a ‘Top Actor’ if you are hired in the most movies among your friends
- Your movie can be a HIT at the Box Office depending on how many people have watched your movie
- Your movie will not make the ‘Top Ranked Movies’ list if it has not been viewed by your friends.
- A friend can watch your movie several times in one day, but it will only be counted as one view.
- With each movie invitation sent to a friend, $1000 will be added to your budget!
- For each invitation sent, you will earn $500. Once a friend has accepted an invitation, you will earn an additional $5,000 for your movie!
Hope you have a good idea now? So let’s add ‘Fallywood’ from here ….. http://apps.new.facebook.com/fallywood/
Enjoy making movie with your friends. Decide who will be hero of your movie, who will be heroin of your movie! And of course make such a way so that your friends watch it! Otherwise It won’t go to the top ranked movie page you know :) wish you all the best for your movie!
We tried our best to make something funny, to entertain people, for that we have sacrificed all weekends of last 2 months! Just to make sure we make something good, but I know an application is never completed, we have plan to extend the features of this application! We need your suggestions here. please let us know what do you think about it, please report us bugs!, we are considering this release as BETA release, so please let us know if you see any problems with the application. We will love to hear from you, we will really appreciate it. Thanks and enjoy!
Few day ago when I went to my hometown Sylhet, I met one of my school friends who used to be the first boy of our class. Who always had a distance between us because; I wasn’t that good student at all. He got his under graduation from SUST. So we had a warm welcome and I asked him what he was doing. He smiled back at me and then he gave me his visiting card. I went through it and realized he was in a private firm and his position is “senior”. I was a little bit confused why he didn’t give me the answer directly, but maybe that was the way he loved to introduce himself. “So what are you doing now days?” he asked me back. Well, im working in a software firm – I replied. You don’t have any visiting card? I was like, im sorry I don’t have any. Then he had such an expression like “ohh yeah, you are not supposed to have a visiting card eh!” – sigh!
Lately, I have been going through some profiles of our local developers, reading blogs, attending lightening talks etc. One thing always makes me curious to see what the designation of the developer is. And most of the time I see designations like “Senior Software engineer”, “CEO”, “Software Engineer”, “System Analyst” etc.
I’m lucky that I’m working with some nice people whose background covers Harvard University and Stanford University! I never see them using any designation at the end of their email; I never see them calling themselves CEO! They are not bothered if we have visiting card or not, whether we have any designation or not.
I’m not saying that designation that we are using is wrong! Or we are the only people on earth who use this kind of stuff, but! This is the thing that makes us proud! This is the thing we wait to be! And this is the thing that separates’ us from the juniors eh…
And this is not our fault trust me. This is our system that makes us to run for a designation, because I know, once I’m a developer with a title “senior”, I can get everything right. Whatever I do, I will always be right. I guess we got this habit from our politicians? My “wrong” work/word will always be kept as hidden. No juniors have the guts to say anything against me! Why I wouldn’t fight to be a senior eh? And once I’m a senior, I have to listen or learn from a junior?? – hell no! Sigh ….
Well, not that all developers got the same mentality; I know there are some nice people in our industry. I have that believe these people will make a change in our industry. Few people, I already worked with such as Hasin n Ahsan got some different mentality….and I’m sure I will work with more nice people and this number will increase day by day! Hoping for a better tomorrow in our industry.
Today, I met this little boy at Sylhet rail station around at 2:30pm. I came 15 minutes earlier at the station and I had this following conversation with this small kid. He came to me and he just laid his hand in front of me….
Me: what do you want?
Boy: I want to eat…
Me: what did you eat in the morning?
Me: what?! You haven’t eaten anything till now?
Me: are you not hungry?
Boy: hmm…. [He was just looking at my hand when I put that in the pocket]
Me: So you haven’t eaten anything yet?
Boy: I ate chips from train [passenger that leave with the ships packet]
Me: you lied! You said you didn’t eat anything till now!
Boy: I said, I didn’t eat anything in the morning, but I ate chips few moments ago
Me: Oh! I see, so what you gonna eat now?
Boy: I don’t know, when train comes, I will look for chips packet and coke cane
Me: hmm…this is how you eat everyday?
Me: where is your parent? What do they do …?
Boy: they do nothing!
Me: your dad even doesn’t do anything?
Boy: hmm…. give me money! I want to eat … [I know he was losing his patience]
Me: ok, let me take a picture of you …
Boy: [he was looking at my mobile camera…]
Me: Take this money, go eat something…..
He didn’t stop for a second once he got some money in his hand. When he left, I was looking at his back….was thinking if there was anything I could do for him….but he saved me leaving like that! Maybe that was all I could do for him ……
When I saw the redesigned facebook like few days ago, first thing came in my mind was like “hey, status update is almost like twitter” and then I realized, that facebook would try to take away the popularity of twitter. And today, I saw they also updated the status options in home page which is almost like twitter! Tomorrow I won’t be surprised if I see my facebook IM is showing my friends status message with a pop-ups. Yes, it is just rewinding the same question. “Twitter will be killed by facebook?”
There could be some strong support if I say yes to answer this question.
First of all, they have billion of users. If I can do the same thing with my friends in one place then why would I use twitter? See, now facebook focusing all users status message by making it way larger than before. Their intension is clear.
I don’t think so! Twitter will remain as twitter if they don’t kill their system, if they can figure out how to maintain huge data load.
Why don’t think so, because my twitter friends and facebook friends are not same. I don’t want to share same message/status message with both category. Twitter message is related about what I’m doing, “I’m working on php GD library”. i know this status will be changed after a while in my twitter. But same message with different type of friends in facebook? Uhm …no, I don’t think so.
I’m not worried about twitter!